Westendorf is situated on a sunny plateau in the middle of the Brixen valley, far away from any noisy traffic. The picture-perfect village centre with its excellent infrastructure is completely encompassed by mountains and is regarded as a link between the Skiwelt Wilder Kaiser Brixental, one of the largest and most modern skiresorts in the world, and the well-known Ski Area Kitzbühel/Kirchberg. It's not just in winter that visitors get their money's worth, summer in Westendorf also makes for plenty of thrills. Our natural jewel, the Windau valley, as well as the beautiful surrounding mountains, with peaks of up to 2,400 m offers a sheer inexhaustible hiking, mountain-biking and relaxation experience.
winter season ended prematurely
Dear guests, dear friends, dear fans!
Due to the current situation in connection with the corona virus, the Tyrolean regional government issued an early end to the winter season throughout Tyrol. The last day of skiing is scheduled for Sunday, March 15, 2020. From Monday, March 16th, 2020 all our cable cars and accommodation facilities will be closed.
We would like to thank all of our guests for the really fantastic winter season and are looking forward to welcoming you back again when these precautionary measures have ended.
Questions and answers about the corona virus can be found here!
Opening hours of the restaurants
Weekly summer program
Road bike/ E-Bike / MTB
Summer holiday with all the family
Westendorf in Tirol - Summer-Imagefilm
Das Wohlfühldorf Westendorf liegt mitten in den Kitzbüheler Alpen auf einem Sonnenplateau mit ca. 800 m Seehöhe.
approx. 15 km from Kitzbühel, between Hopfgarten and Brixen im Thale
800 to 2,444 m
Snowboarder and freestylers can find one of the finest funparks in the region in the Westendorf ski area, the "Boarders Playground". There's nothing in the way of skiing and snowboarding fun in Westendorf from the beginning of winter to spring. Highlights away from the slopes include the optimally groomed cross-country ski tracks and winter hiking trails, which will lead you to the most scenic spots.
In summer, daily themed hikes and a diverse family programme are offered by the tourism associations. Odd, exciting and surprising experiences await children of all ages on the "Animal Puzzle Tour" in the Alpinolino Adventure Park by the Westendorf local mountain.
Every Thursday in summer, you can admire old handicraft, sample delicious farmers' treats and listen to folksy music at the Schau zuichi Market in the car-free center. Westendorf is a true experience in any season and always worth a visit.
The history of Westendorf
The first finds in Westendorf date back to the Bronze Age, at which the cremation graves found when constructing the Station Street in 1926 were destroyed. The finds from back then are now housed in the Ferdinandeum State Museum. The artifacts display several distinctive features: on the one hand there are remarkably many of them, on the other hand some of the objects found are not made of bronze from that comes from Tyrol.
In the Roman period, Westendorf was part of the province of Noricum, whereby the village was located right by the border. In 476 this province was disbanded by Odoaker, whereby many inhabitants surely migrated to neighbouring Raetia.
1234 saw Westendorf mentioned in documents for the first time, more precisely in a donation by Count Otto von Wasserburg to the Rott Abbey. There are several indications for the village and town having even existed earlier:
In 902 Noble Randolt gave his estate to the Bishop of Regensburg. In order to be able to enforce their own claim even against the Bishop of Brixen, it is assumed that the Regensburg bishops erected a church in the area of Westendorf. Furthermore, the church is dedicated to St. Nikolaus, pointing to construction in the 11th / 12th century.
The 4th Lateran Council decreed the establishment of the Bishopric of Chiemsee in the year 1215. This new diocese was also awarded the entire Brixen valley, whereby the Bishop of Chiemsee had sovereign and religious authority, but the Archbishop of Salzburg the right of patronage and tithe. In 1385 Brixental became fully a part of the Archdiocese of Salzburg as a result of a deed of purchase, but the religious authority remained with the Archdiocese of Chiemsee.
The Church of St. Nicholas in Westendorf is mentioned in documents for the first time in 1320. The Gothic building was reconstructed in 1771 by Andre Huber.
Westendorf was subordinated to the Court of Itter, which was also assigned the high jurisdiction in 1514 by Emperor Maximilian I. In the 16th century, a mining-boom took place around Westendorf.
In 1803 the Archdiocese of Salzburg became fully a part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany as a result of the secularisation advocated by Napoleon, and in 1805 of Austria. In 1809, Salzburg as well as Tyrol became part of Bavaria, and it was not before 1814 they became part of Austria once more.
On 1st May 1816, the entire Brixental, following a decree by Emperor Franz I. became part of Tyrol, whereby in the same year Westendorf was elevated to an autonomous community.
Sector fortification of Burgegg
Today we can find farms near Westendorf with names like "Burwegen" and "Burweg". Looking at the map of this area, you’ll find a plateau surrounded by streams which was suitable as a fortress thanks to it location. If previously it was thought that this was a prehistoric fortification, it is now assumed that a medieval earthwork fortification with wood elements once stood here. Unfortunately, no wall remains nor other finds were discovered in the area and no written sources concerning the structure exist either.