We start this hike in Westendorf’s village centre.
At first we walk along Peter-Neuschmid-Straße, follow the path to the “Stockermühl” chapel and cross the main road where we find ourselves outside the “Hofer” supermarket. Now we follow the road uphill and cross through the beautiful, picturesque hamlet of Feichten until we reach a gravel road. This road meanders slowly uphill along a forest slope. After a few hairpin bends the track reduces to a forest trail initially and then to a meadow path. At the Klöblhof we arrive at the Salvenberger Straße which we cross and after following a meadow path we reach the Thumerhof and Ledererhof farms. At the Ledererhof, we branch off to the left and cross the large meadow above the farm which takes us to the edge of a forest on a beautiful forest trail. This trail often crosses the gravel Alpine path on the way to the reservoir lake. Once at the lake, it’s nice to spend some time here and even walk around it. At the reservoir’s outlet, a small footpath leads back to a wide gravel track. Keeping to the left, a sign post directs us back onto the Alpine trail. Just below the Kälbersalvenalm, we follow the wide Alpine path, walk between the farm buildings and keep to the left to the Salvensee Lake. From this point, the going gets tougher! Following numerous, steep, serpentine bends, we arrive at the summit of the Hohe Salve! (Note: this ascent is on the south-facing slope – strong direct sunlight is possible!!)
A visit to the pilgrimage church is a “must” while a rest in the panoramic restaurant is recommended.
Now there are several possibilities:
• Descend with the Hopfgarten gondola to the middle station - hike from there back to Westendorf
• Descend with the Hopfgarten gondola to the valley station – return by bus to Westendorf (free with guest card)
• Descend with the Hochsöll gondola to the middle station - visit the “Hexenwasser” (witches water) - hike to the Filzalm Lake – descend with the Brixen gondola to the valley station - hike back to Westendorf
• Descent same as ascent
• Return hike to the Kälbersalvenalm and then to the Filzalm Lake – descend with the Brixen gondola to the valley station - hike back to Westendorf
Summit hike to the Hohe Salve via the Thumerhof Farm
- Frühjahr, Sommer, Herbst
- Schotter, Wald-Wiesen- und Almsteige
- Bergwanderschuhe, evtl. Wanderstöcke
- mit Bus ins Zentrum (Haltestelle Sennerei) von Westendorf; viele Parkmöglichkeiten im Zentrum von Westendorf