Local information Kirchberg in Tirol
Here you'll find all current information for Kirchberg
- Bus and train schedule
- Restaurant opening hours
- Prices and opening hours of various establishments in Kirchberg
- Weekly event schedule
History of Kirchberg in Tirol
The history of Kirchberg
The oldest traces of the settlement of Kirchberg date back to prehistoric times, that is the Early Bronze Age (1100 - 900 BC). The first inhabitants of Kirchberg were the Illyrians. Around the middle of the 6th century, occupation and settlement by the Bavarians began.
In 902, royal ministry official "Radolt" presented the "Prichenstal" with "Sperten or Kirchberg" to the bishops of Regensburg, who let the governors govern it. 1241 sees "Sperten" mentioned for the first time as name for the village below the "Chirchberg". In 1333 we hear about the "community of parishioners of Sperten". In 1377, Bishop Konrad of Regensburg pawned the Brixental with Kirchberg to Bishop Friedrich von Chiemsee. In 1380 he sold it in return for payment of 18,000 Hungarian guilder with the provision of repurchase and in 1385 in return for payment of 8,000 Hungarian guilders he sold it permanently to the Archbishop of Salzburg. In 1816, the unification of Brixental valley was decided on and thus Kirchberg in Tirol also became part of it. It is said of our "Church by the mountain", which we owe our town name to since the 14th century, that it was originally intended to be built in the town. Before the roof was covered with timber shingles, however, doves carried these shingles up to the mountain. The people of Kirchberg saw a sign from God in this and built the church in this place.
The construction of a house of worship took place already in the 13th century in Romanesque style. In the 15th century, a new church was built in Gothic style. In the 18th century the church was redesigned and the interior completely converted to Baroque style. 1977/80 the Kirchberg church was renovated and extended, following plans by world-famous architect Prof. Clemens Holzmeister.
On the exterior wall of the tower is a large picture of the Madonna by Kirchberg church painter Michael Lackner.