The starting point of this tour on the Salzachgeier is the parking lot at Gasthof Wegscheid in Kurzen Grund in Kelchsau. From there you hike first on the forest path before following the signs on the marked mountain path no. 718 moderately steep through the forest towards the Neuer Bamberger Hütte. If the lower part of the path still leads through forest area, in the upper half you can choose between mountain and forest paths before you finally cover the last kilometers to the Alpine Club hut on a forest road. The Neue Bamberger Hütte can be reached after a 1.5 hour walk.
After a short refreshment, the path continues over lush alpine meadows on path no.718 towards Markkirchl - a small wooden chapel located directly on the border between Tyrol and Salzburg. After crossing the Salzburg border, there is a short downhill section. You walk through the headwaters of the Salzach, which flows a few hundred kilometers further through the city of Salzburg. The species-rich flora always amazes you!
It becomes increasingly steeper on path no. 730, which leads to the summit. There one of the most rewarding views of the Kitzbühel Alps invites you to linger and have a snack. The last few meters of the tour lead over rocky terrain, which requires concentration and surefootedness.
The way back takes the same route. At the Neue Bamberger Hütte there is not only the opportunity to stop for a break, here you can also spend the night in the midst of the imposing mountains.
In spite of the refreshment facilities, we would recommend that you take food and drink with you for the mountain tour.
- access_time7:32 hDuration
- arrow_right_alt18,8 kmDistance
- terrain2469 mHighest point
- trending_up1380 mUphill
- trending_down1380 mDownhill
- check medium difficulty / red mountain path
- forest road & mountain trails(medium difficulty)
- Breathable outdoor clothing
sufficient food and water
First aid kit
Mobile phone with full battery & charger
Hiking map & guide literature
Possibly a GPS device or download the GPS data to your mobile phone
Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen & cap)
rainwear & cash
- FromInnsbruck/Munich: A12 exit Wörgl Ost - feeder road B178 towards St. Johann i. T. & Kitzbühel - after the tunnel exit towards Hopfgarten - at the roundabout take the B170 towards Hopfgarten - turn right after the underpass and cross the bridge towards Kelchsau - into the valley on the L205 Kelchsauer Straße approx. 10 km to the toll station (car toll EUR 5.-) - after the toll station turn left – into the Kurzer Grund valley to Gasthof Wegscheid.
From Kitzbühel: B170 Brixentalstraße direction Wörgl - in Hopfgarten before the second railway underpass turn left over the bridge direction Kelchsau - approx. 10 km to toll station (car toll EUR 5,-) - after toll station turn left – into the Kurzer Grund valley to Gasthof Wegscheid
- free parking at the toll station car park or at Gasthof Wegscheid (road toll €5,00)