Attention: road closed to Langer Grund valley in Kelchsau! Due to construction works on a small hydroelectric power station, access is closed to Langer Grund Valley until approx. Fall 2021
This amazing summit tour starts in the parking area of Tiefentalalm. From there take the forest path which leads in northern direction uphill out of the valley. Leisurely it goes to the first junction above Ochsenschlag Niederalm. Follow the sign there and continue along the partly flat forest path until shortly before getting to the sunny located Seefeldalm.
A mountain path marked with stakes starts right at the bend before Seefeldalm. Over lush alpine pastures and past plenty of alpine roses and a small mountain stream the route is now taking you steeper uphill. From many spots, the tour offers fantastic views of the valley and the surrounding majestic peaks. Steadily walking uphill you get to a summit ridge and a signpost. From there the final stage begins and takes you over the gentle summit ridge to the summit cross.
Sonnjoch is wedged between four valleys: Kelchsau, Wildschönau, Alpachtal and the Zillertal Märzengrund. This is not only an exciting detail regarding the tour but also the reason for the breath-taking views from the summit.
Take the same way back to Tiefentalalm, your starting point.
Tiefentalalm - Sonnjoch
- access_time4:50 hDuration
- arrow_right_alt12,4 kmDistance
- terrain2292 mHighest point
- trending_up860 mUphill
- trending_down850 mDownhill
Tiefentalalm - Sonnjoch
- check medium difficulty / red mountain path
- Forest road, hiking trail
- Breathable outdoor clothing
sufficient food and water
First aid kit
Mobile phone with full battery & charger
Hiking map & guide literature
Possibly a GPS device or download the GPS data to your mobile phone
Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen & cap)
Rainwear & cash
- From Innsbruck/Munich: A12 exit Wörgl Ost - feeder road B178 towards St. Johann i. T. & Kitzbühel - after the tunnel exit towards Hopfgarten - at the roundabout take the B170 towards Hopfgarten - turn right after the underpass and cross the bridge towards Kelchsau - head into the valley on the L205 Kelchsauer Straße approx. 10 km to toll station (car toll EUR 5,-) - pass toll station and continue straight on into the Langer Grund valley- go on for approx. 7,5km to Erla-Brennhütte - from there continue on foot for 4km to Tiefentalalm
From Kitzbühel: B170 Brixentalstraße in the direction of Wörgl - in Hopfgarten, before the second railway underpass, turn left over the bridge in the direction of Kelchsau - approx. 10 km to the toll station (car toll EUR 5.-) - pass the toll station and continue straight on into the Langer Grund valley for approx. 7.5 km to Erla-Brennhütte - from there it is a 4 km walk to the Tiefentalalm.
- Car park Erla Brennhütte (road toll €5,00)