Start the tour from the parking lot of the inn Gh. Wegscheid in the valley Kurzer Grund in Kelchsau. From there walk for a few metres along the forest road until you get to the well-marked path no.718 leading you moderately uphill through the forest in the direction of Neue Bamberger Hütte .
While the lower part of the path runs through the wood, you can choose between mountain and forest paths in the upper half before following a forest road for the last few kilometres to the mountain hut. The Neue Bamberger Hütte within your reach, the Markkirchl circular walk leads you away to the left from the previous route shortly before Kuhwildalm.
Now follow the signed path no 732 and 734 uphill through amazing mountain scenery. You can choose between a moderately steep forest path or a well-marked mountain path. This way or the other, especially in the spring, the splendour of the alpine roses on that slope will be breathtaking. After a walk of approx. 45 minutes from the fork before the Neue Bamberger Hütte, you now reach Streitfeldalm. From there you enjoy an unparalleled view of the peaks opposite and the high valley below which stretches from the mountain hut to the Salzburg border in the south. Right at the border there is the next stop of our round tour- the chapel Markkirchl. In order to get there, follow path no 719 from Streitfeldalm and via a well-maintained forest road, always accompanied by fantastic views, to the mentioned Markkirchl.
From this little border chapel, you can take in the impressive panorama of the Hohe Tauern and the ice and snow-covered peaks. From Markkirchl, the path leads across lush mountain pastures back to the Neue Bamberger Hütte. And what could be more pleasant than letting the sun shine on your face while enjoying a good snack? From there, you get back on path no 718 which takes you back to your starting point.
Markkirchl Circular Walk
- access_time5:00 hDuration
- arrow_right_alt13,9 kmDistance
- terrain1990 mHighest point
- trending_up864 mUphill
- trending_down861 mDownhill
Markkirchl Circular Walk
- check medium difficulty / red mountain path
- mostly mountain paths, partly forest roads
- breathable outdoor clothng
sufficient water and snacks
fully charged mobile phone + charger
hiking map + guidebook
if possible GPS device or GPS data on your phone
sun protection (sunscreen, glasses, hat)
rainwear + cash
- From Innsbruck/Munich: A12 exit Wörgl Ost - feeder road B178 towards St. Johann i. T. & Kitzbühel - after the tunnel exit towards Hopfgarten - at the roundabout take the B170 towards Hopfgarten - drive through the underpass on the right and over the bridge towards Kelchsau - into the valley on the L205 Kelchsauer Straße approx. 10 km to the toll station (car toll EUR 5.-) - after the toll station turn left - through Kurzer Grund valley to Gasthof Wegscheid.
From Kitzbühel: B170 Brixentalstraße direction Wörgl - in Hopfgarten before the second railway underpass turn left and drive over the bridge direction Kelchsau - approx. 10 km to toll station (car toll EUR 5,-) - after toll station turn left - through Kurzer Grund valley to Gasthof Wegscheid
- free parking at the toll station