The starting point of the chapel walk is the Steinkapelle chapel in Angerberg, in the district of Embach. The beautiful chapel was built on a boulder in 1756 and can be reached via a narrow stone staircase. With the gable roof, the three-sided choir and oval windows, the building is a truly special sight. The oldest chapel in the municipality of Angerberg also reminds a little of its big sister, the Mariastein Pilgrimage Church, which is the destination of this chapel walk.
From the Steinkapelle it goes east over a narrow forest path in the direction of Rading, the start of a hiking tour to Buchacker, the local mountain in Angerberg. Here, the route leads tot he asphalted local road. After a while you reach the chapel Gatterer Kapelle, which was built in 1931 and renovated in 1974.
After another 15-minute walk, you will reach Wartlstein Chapel. This has been around since 1870. In 1935 it was rebuilt due to deterioration. Continue on the old local road to Mariastein, to the pilgrimage church. After climbing the 150 steps to the Gnadenkapelle (Chapel of Mercy) in the church tower (built around 1360), you will be rewarded with the sight of the famous Gothic Madonna portrait, which has been inspiring pilgrims to come to "Maria am Stein" from near and far since the late Middle Ages.
You can return to the starting point via the same route
- access_time0:50 hDuration
- arrow_right_alt3,4 kmDistance
- terrain651 mHighest point
- trending_up45 mUphill
- trending_down120 mDownhill
- check easy / hiking trail
- Steinkapelle Angerberg, 650m
- Pilgrimage Church Mariastein, 575m
- Asphalt, forest road, footpath
- Breathable outdoor clothing
sufficient food and drinks & sturdy shoes
First aid kit
Mobile phone with full battery & charger
Hiking map & guide literature
Possibly a GPS device or download the GPS data to your mobile phone
Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen & cap)
- Coming from Innsbruck/Munich: A12 exit Kirchbichl - at the crossroads turn left onto Kirchbichler Straße - at the roundabout take the 3rd exit towards Mariastein - follow the road for approx. 6km - 50m after Hotel Kraftquelle Schlossblick turn right - follow the signs to your destination.
Coming from Kitzbühel: Take the B170 Brixentalstraße towards Wörgl - after Hopfgarten, take the 2nd exit at the roundabout onto the B178 towards Bruckhäusl - follow Loferer Straße until the B171 branches off to the right - after 30 m, turn left onto Europastraße towards Angerberg - follow Angerberger Landstraße for approx. 7 km - after passing through the village, turn right onto Unterinntaler Landstraße towards Mariastein -50m after Hotel Kraftquelle Schlossblick turn right - follow the signs to your destination.
- Free car park on the left of Hotel Schlossblick